Mechanical Engineer II
Billerica, MA, USA
Posted on Wednesday, April 5, 2023
Everything that we want to do in life depends on materials. Consider the Bronze Age, Iron Age, Age of Plastics – our evolution as a society is defined by the materials that we use. Products, from airplanes, electric vehicles, to semiconductor devices, are all enabled and limited by the materials that are available to us. Boston Materials is driven by the vision that creating novel materials will empower industry leaders to make new and better products.
About Boston Materials
Founded in 2016, Boston Materials is a high-performance materials company enabling manufacturers of industrial and consumer products to break through their design trade-offs with new materials. The company’s patented Z-axis Fiber™ technology is a lightweight material that has an extraordinary ability to diffuse energy (structural, thermal or electrical). It is produced from 100% reclaimed carbon fiber, enabling new, high-volume, energy-efficient products that have a low carbon footprint. By turning a $2B per year waste stream into high-value, advanced materials, Boston Materials is enabling the next generation of products and unlocking a circular economy. To learn more about Boston Materials, visit bomaterials.com.
The Purpose of this Role
Boston Materials is seeking a Mechanical Engineer who is passionate about designing effective components, tooling, and equipment to solve complex challenges and unlock new business opportunities in high-tech markets. Key customer and production programs will rely on your designs and recommendations. You will be a key member of our team, using your exceptional problem-solving and analytical skills to analyze data, organize technical findings, and recommend solutions that enhance the performance and functionality of Boston Materials products. This is a thrilling opportunity to be part of a team that is driving advancements in making and leveraging never-before-seen advanced materials, and for you to make a real impact at a global level!
The Impact You Will Make in this Role:
- Support product development from concept stages to full-scale production for a diverse range of products and applications.
- Design and implement systems and components that service the mechanical engineering needs of both internal teams and customer programs.
- Use SolidWorks and Ansys to support projects ranging from custom fixture to machine design.
- Work on multidisciplinary projects, often integrating polymer/composite mechanics, thermal analysis, fluid transfer, and electrical systems.
- Prepare technical reports, presentations, SOPs, WIs, and other documentation to communicate findings to internal and external stakeholders.
- Collaborate with other departments, including manufacturing and product management, to ensure that mechanical systems and components meet customer needs and expectations.
- Develop and maintain technical documentation, including drawings, specifications, SOPs, WIs, and test reports.
- Independently operate CNC, 3D printers, various machine shop and power tools.
Your Skills and Expertise:
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in Mechanical Engineering or a related field.
- At least 3 years of experience in mechanical design, analysis, and testing.
- Strong understanding of engineering principles, including mechanics, materials, and thermodynamics.
- Experience with CAD, PDM, and proficiency in creating 3D models and technical drawings.
- Excellent problem-solving and analytical skills.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, with the ability to communicate technical information to both technical and non-technical audiences.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Experience with CNC machining/programming is a plus.
Summary of benefits:
- Health, Vision & Dental – Boston Materials pays 75% of Health, Vision and Dental Care coverage for employee and dependents
- 401(k) plan
- 4 weeks of supplemental Paid Paternity and Family Leave
- Unlimited Paid Time Off
- Holidays: 14 days/year
Boston Materials is an EOE and at the forefront of materials innovation, the key to which is diverse teams with unique backgrounds and experiences. We are committed to employing a diverse workforce with equal employment opportunities regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, veteran status, or disability.
Applicants must be currently authorized to work in the US on a full-time basis.