Materials Engineer II
Billerica, MA, USA
Posted on Wednesday, April 5, 2023
Everything that we want to do in life depends on materials. Consider the Bronze Age, Iron Age, Age of Plastics – our evolution as a society is defined by the materials that we use. Products, from airplanes, electric vehicles, to semiconductor devices, are all enabled and limited by the materials that are available to us. Boston Materials is driven by the vision that creating novel materials will empower industry leaders to make new and better products.
About Boston Materials
Founded in 2016, Boston Materials is a high-performance materials company enabling manufacturers of industrial and consumer products to break through their design trade-offs with new materials. The company’s patented Z-axis Fiber™ technology is a lightweight material that has an extraordinary ability to diffuse energy (structural, thermal or electrical). It is produced from 100% reclaimed carbon fiber, enabling new, high-volume, energy-efficient products that have a low carbon footprint. By turning a $2B per year waste stream into high-value, advanced materials, Boston Materials is enabling the next generation of products and unlocking a circular economy. To learn more about Boston Materials, visit bomaterials.com.
The Purpose of this Role
Boston Materials is seeking a Materials Engineer who is passionate about creating groundbreaking materials and products that solve complex challenges across many high-tech markets! With your foundational understanding of structure-property-processing relationships, you will optimize the mechanical, thermal, and electrical characteristics of advanced composite materials. You will be a key member of our team, using your exceptional problem-solving and analytical skills to analyze data, organize technical findings, and recommend solutions that enhance the performance and functionality of Boston Materials products. This is a thrilling opportunity to be part of a team that is driving never-before-seen advancements in materials engineering, and for you to make a real impact at a global level!
The Impact You Will Make in this Role:
- Support the development of new advanced composite materials for diverse applications through experimentation, sample preparation, testing, data collection and analysis.
- Develop novel processing techniques and testing methods, working closely with the mechanical engineering team.
- Evaluate the mechanical, thermal, and electrical properties of materials using common and customized characterization equipment and tools.
- Prepare technical reports, presentations, SOPs, WIs, and other documentation to communicate findings to internal and external stakeholders.
- Analyze, document, and interpret experimental data, and use this information to improve the performance and functionality of products.
- Stay up to date with the latest developments in materials science and engineering and apply this knowledge to the development of new products and processes.
Your Skills and Expertise:
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in Materials Science, Materials Engineering, or a related field.
- At least 3 years of experience in materials engineering, with a focus on designing and testing materials.
- Strong understanding of material fundamentals, including mechanical, thermal, and electrical properties.
- Experience with experimental design and data analysis.
- Excellent problem-solving and analytical skills.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, with the ability to communicate technical information to both technical and non-technical audiences.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Experience with thermoplastic processing is a plus (extrusion, thermoforming, compression molding, injection molding/overmolding)
- Experience with SolidWorks, ANSYS and other engineering software is a plus.
- Experience with composites is a plus.
Summary of benefits:
- Health, Vision & Dental – Boston Materials pays 75% of Health, Vision and Dental Care coverage for employee and dependents
- 401(k) plan
- 4 weeks of supplemental Paid Paternity and Family Leave
- Unlimited Paid Time Off
- Holidays: 14 days/year
Boston Materials is an EOE and at the forefront of materials innovation, the key to which is diverse teams with unique backgrounds and experiences. We are committed to employing a diverse workforce with equal employment opportunities regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, veteran status, or disability.
Applicants must be currently authorized to work in the US on a full-time basis.
See more open positions at Boston Materials
Something looks off?